Sunday, April 23, 2006

Still no idea about #4

Is egg #4 even there with the siblings? They have been huddled around the remaining egg, but during feedings it was usually possible to get a glimpse of the egg. I have not seen any hint of it since yesterday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Kinney is displaying 'expensive' taste in food. This time, it looks like a female Cardinal, going by the color of the feathers (although the tail feathers seem rather long for a Cardinal). Come on Kinney, pigeons and starlings are plentiful and a nuisance!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cardinal's tail feathers look longer because the wing feathers have been removed and there is nothing to compare the tail with.

Downtown Indy said...

Just got back to check. There was a feeding in progress and the unhathed egg was clearly visible. Sadly, it looks to be cracked. I guess it could be a feather stuck to it, but I've looked long and hard and it really seems cracked to me. If it was a feather, I'd have expected it to move, which it hasn't.

I wonder if it started to hatch but was unable to do so? Shawn's photo does show what appears to be a small hole. That darkened area beside it has been there in some past pictures, too. Not sure if it means anything.

Downtown Indy said...

Old Man - makes sense on the tail feathers. I saw a whole lot of yellow in the nest today so I guess another Flicker met it's end.